The Career Counseling Guru
Permit me to wake the sleeping element in the room...
It's incredibly easy to go to college and learn NOTHING that will help you get a job.
Problem 2: 50% of kids who graduated in the last two years are UNDERemployed - working in jobs that don't require a college degree.
Problem 3: 80% of kids switch majors, mostly because they don't have a clue about what they want to do with the rest of their lives. That's normal, but the implications are an extra one or two years in college at 50K a clip (to use a round number)...
...PLUS the opportunity cost of not working in those extra college years, perhaps at another $40K per year.
In the aggregate, this is easily a $100,000-$200,000 problem!
Compound this with student debt passing the $1.4 Trillion mark, defaults increasing each time they're reported....
It doesn't have to be this way.
Kids don't have to go into college blind, without any semblance of a plan.
The main reason why teens have no clue about what they want to do is because they don't know the right questions to ask.
- How am I "wired?"
- What do I need to be successful?
- What situations should I steer clear of?
- What careers and majors match my wiring?
- Which careers are projected to grow?
We help you choose colleges using an approach 180 degrees opposite than what you or your guidance counselor discussed.
Kids pick colleges "bass-ackwards," they're told, Don't worry that you don't know what you want to do, you'll figure it out.
Except things don't magically work themselves out.
There's no tooth fairy or Easter Bunny, either.
The stakes are too high to "wing it." It's irresponsible and suicidal to go into college without some semplance of a gameplan.
Our approach is different. We look "what's next" - the 40 years after college - then BACKWARD PLAN into a list of colleges.
Here's how it works:
- First, you complete a 30-45 minute online assessment (The "Birkman")
- Next, you receive a comprehensive (70+ page) report detailing your strengths, aptitudes (not necessarily the same thing!), weaknesses and more information. Pearl and I each did this three years ago, I'm still a little taken aback at how eerily accurate it was for us!
- Then, you have an hour-long conference call with our career counselor, who also happens to have been a former guidance counselor and a college admissions officer at a large New England state university.
- A few days later, you'll receive a shorter report, tailored for you, that matches up your 'wiring' with majors and careers, and compares this information with a host of other data, including Bureau Of Labor Statistic predictions on whether the careers are predicted to be in growth or decline mode, or something in between.
- A short list of colleges reputable in areas that mesh with your wiring is part of this report.
- You'll also receive valuable resources to help further inquiry about the specific fields recommended for you!
If you agree that this approach makes sense - not everyone does, so don't worry about offending us if that sounds like you - then Career Counseling Guru might be the most valuable thing you ever do for your child!